Friday, April 4, 2014

Blog 9

Class, readers of the internet, welcome to my wall of imagination and creativity. This wondrous page on the world wide interweb is where I write my most secret and emotional thoughts… about advertisements and rhetoric and what not. I am having trouble coming up with a topic for my research paper. I really do have some good ideas about gun control but you “shot” that paper down Ms. Roberts. Get it? You “shot” down a paper and it is about gun control? I am probably the punniest guy I know. So I think I might do a paper on whether violent video games really affect kids in negative and threatening way. What about the media talking about murder and almost ninety percent of all television shows violence and sex and blood and gore. Our society ourselves are violent enough.  What I am getting at is that it is not just video games and well I should save the rest for my paper! Cannot give everything away in the “trailer” eh? That would be like going to see a comedy summer blockbuster only to realize they showed all the funny parts in the trailers and then you are mad at the world for a few days… or weeks. Anyway time for some good ol’ fashioned rhetorical strategies used in advertisements. Check this one out for instance. It is an advertisement for a condom showing 3 men, 1 one which is naked and the other 2 with firefighting gear on using a hose to fight a fire. It is giving a message saying you would not go into fighting fires unprotected, why would you have unprotected sex as it is just as “dangerous.” You have to be protected and prepared at all times is what the advertisement is trying to convey. In other words, if you are going to have sex, you might as well be protected.

No comments:

Post a Comment